BoatU.S. Seaworthy Magazine January 2006
The newsletter from BoatU.S. Marine Insurance, reviewed five years of claims. The number of claims and dollar amounts were considered in compiling the list of the main causes of insurance claims.
- #1: Striking submerged objects
- floating debris, rocks
- #2: Sinking
- failed hoses and clamps, outdrive bellows, clogged scuppers, clogged bilge pump.
- #3: Fire and explosion
- 12-volt wiring, shorepower cord inlet corrosion, corroded exhaust manifolds, fuel leaks.
- #4: Wind and weather
- tying up securely, guarding against chafe and staying protected help reduce damage.
- #5: Collisions
- docks, pilings, other boats
- #6: Grounding
- what you do after hitting bottom often causes more damage
- #7: Lightning
- improper grounding, bad luck!
- #8: Theft of boat
- 90% were on trailers
- #9: Theft of equipment
- outdrives, trailers, electronics, etc.