Helping boaters since 1996!
Welcome to of the oldest, largest boating sites in Canada.
Each year, it's estimated 12 million Canadians (2015) go boating in
8.6 million boats (2016).
Nearly 80% of us live less than an hour from navigable water.
If you have lost your heart to a boat, learning all you can will improve your enjoyment, guaranteed! Don't forget to check out our social media and videos.
How to find things:
1. Rules & Regulations
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- The card (PCOC) is now required for operating
any powered boat. Foreign visitors and renters follow special rules.
Avoid the fine! Get your training and operator card online from
- Boat Licences & Registration
- For boats, before you wet Her bottom. Licensing is the norm
-- you get new federal licence numbers from the province,
such as ON123456 in Ontario.
- Minimum equipment required
- For your boat in Canada depends on Her length.
- Boating Laws
- Including the Contraventions Act with
on-the-water tickets for a number of infractions.
- Government Directory
- Find details about government regulations affecting boating.
Includes U.S. and provincial governments.
- Rules of the Road
- What you need to know to avoid a collision with all the
boats out there! Repeat after me: "There is no right of way"!
- Entering the U.S.A. by Boat
- Crossing the border, Customs decals, I-68 forms, video
terminals, NEXUS, cruising permits, CANPASS. Security procedures
- Entering Canada by Boat
- Foreign boaters need information on immigration, customs,
tax rebates, marine radio, environmental laws, boat and operator
licensing requirements, and which ports to report to.
- VHF marine radio
- In Canada boaters need licences to use a VHF radio: an optional
licence for the radio and a mandatory licence for the operator.
There is a "short" VHF channel list
and an emergency "Mayday" sheet for your crew.
- Alcohol & Boats
- Governed by federal and provincial laws. A discussion from the
Canadian boating group about drinking and boating is included.
2. Safety & Navigation
- Small boat navigation
- Using a compass for chart plotting
Electronic navigation using echarts.
WAAS navigation the most accurate
Older systems in common use:
Loran-C (archive) was retired in 2010.
- Float Plan
- For you to fill out and give to a friend or the Coast Guard
-- just in case.
- Marine Weather
- Forecasts to avoid bad experiences!
- Distress signals
- To use when you are in trouble -- from flares to Mayday.
Waving your arms and screaming works too!
- Sound signals
- Signalling your intentions with a horn or other device.
- Spring Pre-launch Checklist
- Important boat checks for a stress-free season.
- Fuelling gasoline
- Safety at the gas dock (or "How I hate flying through the air!")
How to Save Fuel
- Fire extinguishers
- A real-life galley fire story.
- Marina security
- On everyone's minds these days.
Learn how to protect your pride and joy.
- It can kill you. Here are the symptoms and treatment
as well as how to prevent it.
- CPR and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Refresher for those who have taken a course.
- Drowning Prevention
- A simple method that everyone should learn.
- Rip Tides
- How to recognize a rip tide and what to do to save
yourself from one.
- How to prevent and treat "mal de mer".
- Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)
- How to recognize, deal with, and prevent dangerous
electric power leaks from docks and boats.
- Carbon Monoxide poisoning
- Prevent this silent killer. The odorless gas from any
fuel-burning engine, generator, heater or stove can kill.
- Protecting your crew from mosquitoe bites and illnesses.
- West Nile Virus
- Mosquito-born disease
- Lyme disease & Black-legged Ticks
- Fast growing epidemic in North America
3. Cruising Canada
To celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday
, Parks Canada 2017 Discover Pass
offers free admission to Canada's national parks, national historic sites, national marine conservation areas - including free lockage in the historical canals.
- The Rideau Waterway
- UNESCO World Heritage Site from Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's capital)
to Kingston on Lake Ontario - the best cruising, fishing, history
and scenery. Read Pat's "Rideau Canal Cruising Guide".
Don't miss our videos.
- The Trent-Severn Waterway
- 386 km. of canals, rivers, and 45 locks from Trenton on Lake
Ontario to Lake Huron - prefect for power cruising and touring.
- Canadian Canoe Museum, and
- The Great Lakes
- Great boating in the largest area of freshwater on earth.
- Thousand Islands National Park,
also known as the 1000 Islands [sigh].
- Pat's Island Photos.
- Small Circle Cruise Planning
- Cruise canals, lakes & rivers of New York, Ontario, Quebec,
Small Circle Cruise Diary
- Cruising British Columbia
- B.C.'s protected waters offer
breathtaking scenery, solitude, marine life, mountains,
- St. Lawrence to Lake Champlain
- Paddling voyage from Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River, Richelieu
River, to Lake Champlain
- Stand up Paddleboarding (SUP)
- This boating-made-simple is expanding fast
- Cruising South
- Cruising south to the ICW, Florida and Bahamas.
Even how to make a rum pot and
cruise planning with Google Earth
- Cruising with Pets
- Should you do it? How to survive it!
- How to do things around the boat
- Basic boating hints
Winterizing (eastern Ontario)
- Fishing in Ontario
- Provinces regulate fishing, so this is general.
- Aquatic Environment, Water Quality
- Invasive species, virus and chemicals in fish,
holding tanks, Clean Marine, sewage into snow, solar boats
Drinking water, parasites
- How to Clean a boat
- Environmentally Friendly Boat Cleaning
- The wonderful birds whose mournful call is heard
across Canada's fresh water lakes in the summer.
- Zebra mussels & Invasive Species
- Invasion of the Great Lakes by Invasive Species. I'm going
to have a Zebra mussel appetizer - with garlic!
- Taxes and fees
- Boaters pay many fees and taxes (We aren't all rich, eh!)
- Boating Statistics
- This is our collection of statistics about
boating accidents, drownings, and the boat industry.
4. Boat Handling
Dawson's e-Lessons will help you dock, tie up, ramp, anchor, splice lines and tie knots. You and your crew will learn the practical side of boating in a condensed lesson that will teach you exactly what you need to know to handle your boat.
Learning Boat Handling and Docking
Browse, order and download these terrific booklets from Boating with Dawsons, a long-time affiliate of Boating in Canada!
|Here is a list of some
|Dock a Boat like a Pro
Docking a sterndrive
Docking Twin Sterndrives
Docking Twin Sterndrives Advanced
Docking a Single Inboard
Docking Twin Outboard
Docking Twin Inboard
|Docking your boat|
Docking Single Outboard
Docking your Sailboat
Houseboat Docking Single
O/B or I/O
Docking While Cruising
- Knots, lines, flags, music, life on Mars...
- Canadian Yacht Clubs & Boating Associations
- Useful reference for boating groups across Canada.
- Buying a boat
- It's fun but it's not easy! To avoid all the mistakes most
boat buyers make, read
"Buy a Boat with
Confidence" written by boater Doug Dawson – before
you shop. Don't buy a lemon!
- Why you should buy a boat in Canada
- Things to consider if you think boat deals are better
in the U.S.A.
- Buying a Boat in the USA (Importing a boat
- Our collection of boaters' experiences will help you do it
- Survey a Boat (Yourself)
- A checklist to help you look at boats and keep your head
when you've lost your heart!
Then hire a marine surveyor before you make any offers.
- "The Name Game"
- Favorite Boat Names
Removing a vinyl decal
- Top Insurance claims
- The most common accidents that can happen on the water.
- Cool Tools
- Today's moon (image)
Canadian Time Zone Clocks
Pat's Units Converter Tool (PDQ Library)
- Converts distance, speed, weight, volume, temperature,
pressure, area, dollars. The "gas price converter" converts
between U.S. dollars per gallon and Canadian dollars per litre -
Canadians always pay more! Save the web page to use offline!
6. Fun Stuff!
- Our Social Media, News, Videos
Google Plus: Boating in Canada
Boating in Canada News Blog
Youtube: Boats & Beaches
- Boat Shows & Events
- Boat shows, poker runs, tall ships
- Poetry for Sailors
- Includes the The Irish Blessing.
- Boating and Sex
- Article republished with permission.
- Sex lives of Canadian boaters
- Survey of boater "habits" from 2008
- Boating cartoons favorites
- Includes all my favorites
- Boating Humour collection:
Celsius & Maple Leafs
: Pirate Joke
: Sailing Story
: Sailor Math
: Boat Shoes
- The Perfect Storm: The Condensed Script
- For those who haven't time to see the movie!
- How to Identify a Canadian Boater!
- Just a little northern humour.
- The "Laws" of Boating
- Laugh, so you don't cry!
- Canadian Boating Quiz
- Sail your brain! Can you identify all
Canada'a provinces and territories
- Online Boating Games
- Links to other sites for kids (large and small) on a rainy day
- Canadian Boating Scavenger Hunt
- A fun game for your boating social for the kids (or adults?)
- Apps for Sailors
- Software for Android and iPad/iPhone/iTouch -
navigation, information resources, weather, charts, tides
- Media stuff
- Animated photos, calendar, music, loon calls ...
- Boating photography
- How to take memorable photos while bouncing around.
- Photography in a Kayak
- How to take photos safely while you are paddling