Helping boaters since 1996!
Welcome to of the oldest, largest boating sites in Canada.
Each year, it's estimated 12 million Canadians
go boating in
8 million boats.
Nearly 80% of us live less than an hour from navigable water. It's shown by research there is a connection between water and happiness.
If you have lost your heart to a boat, you will improve your enjoyment by learning all you can about boating - guaranteed! Don't forget to check out our other links:
How to find things:
1. Rules & Regulations
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- The card (PCOC) is now required for operating any
powered boat. Foreign visitors and renters follow special rules.
- Boat Licences & Registration
- For boats, before you wet Her bottom. Licensing is the norm
-- you get new federal licence numbers from the province,
such as ON123456 in Ontario.
- Minimum equipment required
- For your boat in Canada depends on Her length.
- Boating Laws
- Including the Contraventions Act with
on-the-water tickets for a number of infractions.
- Government Directory
- Find details about government regulations affecting boating.
Includes U.S. and provincial governments.
- Rules of the Road
- What you need to know to avoid a collision with all the
boats out there! Repeat after me: "There is no right of way"!
- Entering the U.S.A. by Boat
- Crossing the border, Customs decals, I-68 forms, video
terminals, NEXUS, cruising permits. Security procedures
- Entering Canada by Boat
- Foreign boaters need information on immigration, customs,
tax rebates, marine radio, environmental laws, boat and operator
licensing requirements, and which ports to report to.
- VHF marine radio
- In Canada boaters need licences to use a VHF radio: an optional
licence for the radio and a mandatory licence for the operator.
There is a "short" VHF channel list
and an emergency "Mayday" sheet for your crew.
- Alcohol & Boats
- Governed by federal and provincial laws. A discussion from the
Canadian boating group about drinking and boating is included.
"Money cannot buy happiness, but can buy you a yacht... and I've
never seen a sad man on a yacht." - Hugh Hefner
2. Safety & Navigation
- Small boat navigation
- Using a compass for chart plotting
Electronic navigation using echarts.
WAAS navigation the most accurate
Older systems in common use:
Loran-C (archive) was retired in 2010.
- Float Plan
- For you to fill out and give to a friend or the Coast Guard
-- just in case.
- Marine Weather
- Forecasts to avoid bad experiences!
- Distress signals
- To use when you are in trouble -- from flares to Mayday.
Waving your arms and screaming works too!
- Sound signals
- Signalling your intentions with a horn or other device.
- Spring Pre-launch Checklist
- Important boat checks for a stress-free season.
- Fuelling gasoline
- Safety at the gas dock (or "How I hate flying through the air!")
How to Save Fuel
- Fire extinguishers
- A real-life galley fire story.
- Marina security
- On everyone's minds these days.
Learn how to protect your pride and joy.
- It can kill you. Here are the symptoms and treatment
as well as how to prevent it.
- CPR and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Refresher for those who have taken a course.
- Drowning Prevention
- A simple method that everyone should learn.
- Rip Tides
- How to recognize a rip tide and what to do to save
yourself from one.
- How to prevent and treat "mal de mer".
- Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)
- How to recognize, deal with, and prevent dangerous
electric power leaks from docks and boats.
- Carbon Monoxide poisoning
- Prevent this silent killer. The odorless gas from any
fuel-burning engine, generator, heater or stove can kill.
- Protecting your crew from mosquitoe bites and illnesses.
- West Nile Virus
- Mosquito-born disease
- Lyme disease & Black-legged Ticks
- Fast growing epidemic in North America
3. Cruising Canada
- The Rideau Waterway
- UNESCO World Heritage Site from Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's capital)
to Kingston on Lake Ontario - the best cruising, fishing, history
and scenery. Read Pat's "Rideau Canal Cruising Guide".
Don't miss our videos.
- The Trent-Severn Waterway
- 386 km. of canals, rivers, and 45 locks from Trenton on Lake
Ontario to Lake Huron - prefect for power cruising and touring.
- Canadian Canoe Museum, and
- The Great Lakes
- Great boating in the largest area of freshwater on earth.
- Thousand Islands National Park,
also known as the 1000 Islands [sigh].
- Pat's Island Photos.
- Small Circle Cruise Planning
- Cruise canals, lakes & rivers of New York, Ontario, Quebec,
Small Circle Cruise Diary
- Cruising British Columbia
- B.C.'s protected waters offer
breathtaking scenery, solitude, marine life, mountains,
- St. Lawrence to Lake Champlain
- Paddling voyage from Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River, Richelieu
River, to Lake Champlain
- Stand up Paddleboarding (SUP)
- This boating-made-simple is expanding fast
- Cruising South
- Cruising south to the ICW, Florida and Bahamas.
Even how to make a rum pot and
cruise planning with Google Earth
- Cruising North
- Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic
- Cruising with Pets
- Should you do it? How to survive it!
- How to do things around the boat
- Basic boating hints
Winterizing (eastern Ontario)
- Fishing in Ontario
- Provinces regulate fishing, so this is general.
- Aquatic Environment, Water Quality
- Invasive species, virus and chemicals in fish,
holding tanks, Clean Marine, sewage into snow, solar boats
Drinking water, parasites
- How to Clean a boat
- Environmentally Friendly Boat Cleaning
- The wonderful birds whose mournful call is heard
across Canada's fresh water lakes in the summer.
- Zebra mussels & Invasive Species
- Invasion of the Great Lakes by Invasive Species. I'm going
to have a Zebra mussel appetizer - with garlic!
- Taxes and fees
- Boaters pay many fees and taxes (We aren't all rich, eh!)
- Boating Statistics
- This is our collection of statistics about
boating accidents, drownings, and the boat industry.
- Knots, lines, flags, music, life on Mars...
- Canadian Yacht Clubs & Boating Associations
- Useful reference for boating groups across Canada.
- Buying a boat
- It's fun but it's not easy! To avoid all the mistakes most
boat buyers make, read
- Why you should buy a boat in Canada
- Things to consider if you think boat deals are better
in the U.S.A.
- Buying a Boat in the USA (Importing a boat
- Our collection of boaters' experiences will help you do it
- Survey a Boat (Yourself)
- A checklist to help you look at boats and keep your head
when you've lost your heart!
Then hire a marine surveyor before you make any offers.
- "The Name Game"
- Favorite Boat Names
Removing a vinyl decal
- Top Insurance claims
- The most common accidents that can happen on the water.
- Cool Tools
- Today's moon (image)
Canadian Time Zone Clocks
Pat's Units Converter Tool (PDQ Library)
- Converts distance, speed, weight, volume, temperature,
pressure, area, dollars. The "gas price converter" converts
between U.S. dollars per gallon and Canadian dollars per litre -
Canadians always pay more! Save the web page to use offline!
6. Fun Stuff!
- Our Social Media, News, Videos
Google Plus: Boating in Canada
Boating in Canada News Blog
Youtube: Boats & Beaches
- Boat Shows & Events
- Boat shows, poker runs, tall ships
- Poetry for Sailors
- Includes the The Irish Blessing.
- Boating and Sex
- Article republished with permission.
- Sex lives of Canadian boaters
- Survey of boater "habits" from 2008
- Boating cartoons favorites
- Includes all my favorites
- Boating Humour collection:
Celsius & Maple Leafs
: Pirate Joke
: Sailing Story
: Sailor Math
: Boat Shoes
- The Perfect Storm: The Condensed Script
- For those who haven't time to see the movie!
- How to Identify a Canadian Boater!
- Just a little northern humour.
- The "Laws" of Boating
- Laugh, so you don't cry!
- Canadian Boating Quiz
- Sail your brain! Can you identify all
Canada'a provinces and territories
- Online Boating Games
- Links to other sites for kids (large and small) on a rainy day
- Canadian Boating Scavenger Hunt
- A fun game for your boating social for the kids (or adults?)
- Apps for Sailors
- Software for Android and iPad/iPhone/iTouch -
navigation, information resources, weather, charts, tides
- Media stuff
- Animated photos, calendar, music, loon calls ...
- Boating photography
- How to take memorable photos while bouncing around.
- Photography in a Kayak
- How to take photos safely while you are paddling