Government Directory

Directory of governments of Canada, the U.S.A. and Canadian Provinces that regulate recreational boating activities.
The Government of Canada is moving all their websites to Please report bad links to Pat.
  1. Government of Canada Phone 1-800-622-6232. Find local government offices in the Blue Pages of your telephone directory.
  2. Marine Services On-line - for recreational boaters, commercial operators, and marine infrastructure/commerce (Public Works and Government Services Canada appears to duplicate Transport Canada's information)
  3. Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters (Transport Canada)
  4. Canada's International Gateway
  5. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) 1-800-255-4541
  6. Canadian Passports
  7. Canada Revenue Agency (formerly Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)
  8. Canadian Beacon Registry - to register emergency positioning indicator radio beacons (EPIRBs) 1-800-727-9414
  9. Statistics Canada
  10. Natural Resources Canada
  11. Canada Official Time (National Research Council) - Time Server:
  12. Foreign Affairs and International Trade 1-800-267-6788
    • - essential information before traveling to a foreign country
  13. Health Canada - health information in foreign countries
  14. Canada Gazette - may be the only place you will see proposed regulation concerning pleasure boating before it becomes law.
  15. Deptartment of Justice Laws - Code, Acts, Regulations

Canadian Border Services (CBSA)

  1. Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA)
  2. Coming to Canada by Recreational Boat
  3. NEXUS Program - faster border crossing (see CANPASS) (Toll-free: 1-866-639-8726)
  4. CANPASS Private Boats Program (CAN/PB) - call CBSA before arrival at a Authorized Marine Port Of Entry (see NEXUS)
      1-888-CANPASS / 1-888-226-7277 (Canada/USA)
  5. Canada-U.S. Border (road) Wait Times (CBSA)


Transport Canada (TC)

  1. Transport Canada
  2. Provincial Departments of Transportation
  3. Marine Safety
  4. Office of Boating and Safety 1-800-267-6687 - recreational boating policy, equipment, Pleasure Craft Operators Card, boat licence, product recalls
  5. Information about Buying a boat
  6. Pleasure Craft Electronic Licensing System (PCELS) Online licence application, transfer, or changes Toll-free: 1-800-622-6232
  7. Human Powered Craft
  8. Registering a Vessel Toll-free: 1-877-242-8770
  9. Acts and Regulations
  10. Registrar of Imported Vehicle (RIV) Program 1-888-848-8240 safety standards for imported vehicles.
  11. Transport Canada Marine Safety
  12. Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters
  13. National Search & Rescue Secretariat
  14. Canadian Marine Advisory Council (CMAC) - consultative group. Marine safety, recreational boating, navigation, pollution, security 1-866-879-9902
  15. Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) - search & rescue, buoys, marine safety, marine environment, marine safety communications, Marine Communication and Traffic Services (MCTS), DGPS, water level data.

Fisheries & Oceans (DFO)

For Canadian Coast Guard see Transport Canada.
  1. Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) - hydrographic services, regulation of fish stocks.
  2. Marine Environmental Data Service (MEDS)
    Canada's Oceanographic Data Center - sea temperatures, chemistry, tides, water levels
  3. Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS) - marine navigation charts & publications
  4. Canadian water level information:
  5. U.S. water level information:
Take a Boater Exam Online

Parks Canada

  1. Parks Canada
  2. National Parks
    • Georgian Bay Islands NP
    • Gulf Islands NP Reserve
    • Gwaii Haanas NP Reserve, National Marine Conservation Area
    • Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park
    • Thousand Islands NP
  3. Historic Canals - Carillon, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Lachine, Saint-Ours, Chambly, Rideau, Trent-Severn Waterway, Sault Ste. Marie
  4. National Historic Sites of Canada
  5. National Marine Parks & Conservation Areas

Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (was Industry Canada)

  1. Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada - boating industry, manufacturers, sales, equipment, accessories, statistics, tourism, trade
  2. Recreational Boat manufacturing Industry
  3. Spectrum Management System - National Maritime Information Database (NMID)
  4. Radiocommunications and Broadcasting Regulatory Branch
  5. RBR-2 (was RIC-13): Technical Requirements for the operation of Mobile Stations in the Maritime Service (VHF)
  6. Strategis - Canada's business site includes marine radio licensing and radio spectrum management.

Canada-USA Bi-national

  1. Canada's International Gateway
  2. Canadian Embassy - Washington, DC
  3. U.S.-Canada Transportation Border Working Group (TBWG)
  4. Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN), which combines government and organizations from Canada and the U.S.A. provides levels from gauging stations (live):
  5. International Joint Commission
  6. IWLC International Water Levels Coalition - Canada/U.S. citizen alternative to the St. Lawrence River Board of Control dedicated to preserving the environmental and socio-economic health of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence.
  7. Great Lakes - St. Lawrence Seaway System
    • Pleasure Craft Guide - locking, brochures, lock schedules
    • Canadian lock regulations
    • U.S. Lock regulations in St. Lawrence Seaway
    During the shipping season, more than 2,000 pleasure craft of all kinds pass through the Seaway. Pleasure craft... must be at least 6 M (20 ft.) in length and weigh over 900 kg (one ton 2000 lb.) ... Because the Seaway was made for large cargo ships, small pleasure craft will often be asked to wait while the commercial vessels pass through the locks. Tolls are $30 cash (USD or CAD).

United States

  1. U.S. Department of Homeland Security - includes border control, customs and immigration departments
  2. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
  3. U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) - regulates how boats may enter and travel in the U.S. 1-800-827-0851, 313-226-3139, 1-866-530-4172
  4. U.S. Ports of Entry
  5. U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) - entering the U.S.A.
    • (313) 259-8560
    • (716) 447-3942 Buffalo district (NYS, Penn., Ohio).
    • 1-800-825-2851 New York, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence entry ports
  6. USDA Travel Tips - food, animals, plants  (301) 734-8896
  7. U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - weather advisories, climate, fisheries, coasts, satellites, charts
  8. U.S. National Institue of Science and Technology (NIST)
  9. U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO) time & astronomical data by radio, phone & internet
  10. America's Waterway Watch - citizen security
  11. U.S. Coast Guard
  12. U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) - satellite navigation, GPS, WAAS
  13. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: No-Discharge Zones (NDZs)
  14. Center for Disease Control || West Nile Virus
  15. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Zebra Mussels, Goby
  16. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers -- Great Lakes water levels for your operator's card

Provincial Governments

British Columbia  
New Brunswick
Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia
Newfoundland & Labrador
Northwest Territories
  1. Provincial and Territorial Governments (Government of Canada)
  2. Provincial Departments of Transportation (Transport Canada)

Police Forces

  1. OPP (Ontario Provincial Police)
  2. SQ (Québec provincial police)
  3. RCMP by province (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)

Ontario Government   ONT

  1. Ontario Tourism: 1-800-668-2746 (Can./U.S. toll-free) (416)314-6557 (Toronto)
  2. St. Lawrence Parks Commission
  3. Ontario Ministry of Environment and Energy
  4. Ontario Liquor Licence Act || Conveying Liquor in a Boat
  5. Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
  6. Ontario Ministry of Transportation
  7. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
    1. Ontario Fishing - licences, rules, safe eating
    2. Map: Guide to Eating Ontario Fish
    3. Ontario's Invading Species - Reporting 1-800-563-7711
      Clean Boats - stop the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS)
TOP back