Governments of Canada, U.S.A. and Provinces that regulate recreational boating activities.
The Government of Canada is moving all their websites to canada.ca. Sadly, this has happened before. I am removing dead links as best I can, but displaying the text so you can search for the information. Please report dead links to Pat
- Government of Canada
Find local government offices in the Blue Pages of your telephone directory.
- Marine Services On-line - for recreational boaters, commercial operators, and marine
infrastructure/commerce (Public Works and Government Services
Canada appears to duplicate Transport Canada's information)
- Safety and Security for Canadians - Canadian Government portal has travel tips and border information.
Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters (Transport Canada)
Canada's International Gateway
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) 1-800-255-4541
:: Service Canada
- Canada Revenue Agency
(formerly Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)
Going south - forms, publications, tax considerations, customs,
travel medicine, currency restrictions,
" Canadian Residents Going Down South " (booklet P151)
- British Columbia Taxpayer Services Info Line (importing a boat)
Toll-free Canada: 1-877-388-4440
Canadian Beacon Registry - to register
emergency positioning indicator radio beacons (EPIRBs)
- Statistics Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
Canada Official Time (National Research Council) - Time Server: time.nrc.ca
Foreign Affairs and International Trade
Travel.gc.ca - essential information before traveling to a
Health Canada - health information in foreign countries
Canada Gazette - may be the only place you will see proposed
regulation concerning pleasure boating before it becomes law.
Deptartment of Justice Laws - Code, Acts, Regulations
Canadian Border Services (CBSA)
Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), an agency of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness (PSEP).
Formerly Revenue Canada: Customs and immigration (2003).
- Information for Visitors to Canada (document RC4161) 1-800-461-9999
- Directory of offices
- Border & Customs Info-line 1-800-461-9999 (toll-free)
- Entry to Canada reporting line: 1-888-226-7277 (toll-free)
- joint Canada/U.S. card for faster Canada/US border crossing.
CANPASS Program for private boats
1-888-CANPASS / 1-888-226-7277 (Canada/USA)
Coming to Canada by.. Recreational Boat
Canada-U.S. Border Wait Times (CBSA)
Transport Canada (TC)
Office of Boating and Safety 1-800-267-6687
- recreational boating safety policy, safety equipment,
Pleasure Craft Operators Card course providers, boat licence
applications, product recalls, publications.
Pleasure Craft Electronic Licensing System (PCELS)
Human Powered Craft
Vessel Registration Office
Marine services - acts and regulations, federal waters,
pollution prevention, marine navigation,
harbours, shipping, registered boats, small boat safety.
Acts and Regulations
Information about Buying a boat
Registrar of Imported Vehicle (RIV) Program
1-888-848-8240 safety standards for imported vehicles.
Transport Canada Marine Safety
Non-recreational & Commercial vessels
Requirements for Foreign Recreational Boaters In Canadian Waters
National Search & Rescue Secretariat
Canadian Marine Advisory Council (CMAC) - consultative group.
Marine safety, recreational boating, navigation, pollution, security
- Canadian Coast Guard (CCG)
- search & rescue, buoys, marine safety, marine environment,
marine safety communications,
Marine Communication and Traffic Services (MCTS), DGPS, water level data.
Fisheries & Oceans (DFO)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) - hydrographic services, regulation of fish stocks.
- Fisheries Act
Marine Environmental Data Service (MEDS)
Canada's Oceanographic Data Center - sea temperatures, chemistry, tides, water levels
- Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS)
- marine navigation charts & publications
- Nautical Charts FAQ
NOTMAR - publishes Notice to Mariners,
List of Lights,
Buoys & Fog Signals,
Notices to Shipping
- CHS sells Canadian raster charts in BSB format (was Maptech software)
and digital charts in ENC format.
- Canadian water level information:
Canadian Consumer Information Gateway
Parks Canada - heritage canals, marine parks
Rideau Canal: National Historic Site of Canada
- Paddling the Rideau Canal
- Georgian Bay Islands National Park
- Gulf Islands National Park Reserve
- Fathom Five National Marine Park
- Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park
- Thousand Islands National Park 613-923-5261
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (was Industry Canada)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada -
boating industry, manufacturers, sales, equipment, accessories,
statistics, tourism, trade
- Recreational Boat Industry & Boat Building Stats
Spectrum Management System
- National Maritime Information Database (NMID)
- Radiocommunications and Broadcasting Regulatory Branch
RBR-2 (was RIC-13): Technical Requirements for the operation of
Mobile Stations in the Maritime Service (VHF)
- Canada's business site includes marine radio licensing and radio
- Exemptions for ship radio licences - where to
get a licence for your radio to travel outside Canada/U.S.
- Radio Spectrum Management and Telecommunications
(613) 998-3693 Ottawa
Info-line (613) 941-0222
Radiocommunication Information Circulars (RIC)
- Canada's International Gateway
- Canadian Embassy - Washington, DC
U.S.-Canada Transportation Border Working Group (TBWG)
- Shiprider Project - RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and U.S.
Coast Guard joint law enforcement along marine borders
Lakes Information Network (GLIN), which combines government and organizations
from Canada and the U.S.A. provides levels from gauging stations (live):
- International Joint Commission
- IWLC International Water Levels Coalition
- Canada/U.S. citizen alternative to the St. Lawrence River Board
of Control dedicated to preserving the environmental and
socio-economic health of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence.
- Great Lakes - St. Lawrence Seaway System
- Pleasure Craft Guide - locking, brochures, lock schedules
- Canadian lock regulations
- U.S. Lock regulations in St. Lawrence Seaway
During the shipping season, more than 2,000 pleasure craft of all kinds pass through the Seaway. Pleasure craft... must be at least 6 M (20 ft.) in length and weigh over 900 kg (one ton 2000 lb.) ... Because the Seaway was made for large cargo ships, small pleasure craft will often be asked to wait while the commercial vessels pass through the locks. Tolls are $30 cash (USD or CAD).
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- includes border control, customs and immigration departments
Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) - regulates how boats may enter and travel in the U.S. 1-800-827-0851, 313-226-3139, 1-866-530-4172
U.S. Ports of Entry ::
Lake Ontario ::
East Coast ::
- U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) - entering the U.S.A.
- (313) 259-8560
- (716) 447-3942
Buffalo district (NYS, Penn., Ohio).
New York, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence entry ports
- USDA Travel Tips
- food, animals, plants (301) 734-8896
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) - weather advisories, climate, fisheries, coasts,
- U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO) provides time and astronomical data by radio, phone & Web (clocks or voice broadcasts).
- America's Waterway Watch - citizen security
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) - satellite navigation, GPS, WAAS (for airplanes)
- U.S. National Institue of Science and Technology (NIST)
- U.S. No-Discharge Zones (NDZs) Type I MSD treatment for sewage is NOT allowed
- Center for Disease Control ||
West Nile Virus
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Zebra Mussels, Goby
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
water levels for the Great Lakes
Provincial and Territorial Governments (Government of Canada)
Provincial Departments of Transportation (Transport Canada)
- OPP (Ontario Provincial Police)
SQ (Québec provincial police)
- RCMP by province
(Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- Ontario Tourism: 1-800-668-2746
(Can./U.S. toll-free) (416)314-6557 (Toronto)
St. Lawrence Parks Commission
Ontario Ministry of Environment and Energy
Ontario Liquor Licence Act
Conveying Liquor in a Boat
Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario
Ontario Ministry of Transportation
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Ontario Fishing - licences, rules, safe eating
- Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary
Ontario's Invading Species
- Reporting 1-800-563-7711
Clean Boats - stop the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS)