1000 Is. cruising
1000 Is. diary
1000 Is. fees
1000 Is. Ramps
1000 Is. photos
1000 Is. history
about the site
black rat snake
boat names 1
boat names 2
boat show contacts
boat sex survey
buy a boat
buy in Canada
buy in USA
circle cruise 1
circle cruise 2
convert $U.S. gas
convert $Cdn gas
drinking water 1
drinking water 2
float plan form
news / blog
news U.S. customs
St. Lawrence canoeing
St. Lawrence kayaking
St. Lawrence charts
St. Lawrence cruise
St. Lawrence level
St. Lawrence comment
1000 Is. cruising
1000 Is. Customs
1000 Is. diary
1000 Is. fees
1000 Is. Ramps
1000 Is. photos
1000 Is. history
small circle cruise
small circle cruise2
U.S. video checkin
VHF channels Pacific
world heritage site
West Nile virus
1. RULES & REGULATIONS
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC)
- (mandatory education, operator licence) began in April 1999.
A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is now required for operating
any powered boat. Foreign visitors and renters follow special rules.
Get your training and operator card from BoaterExam.com - all online.
- Boat Licences, Registration, and Markings
- For boats, before you wet Her bottom. Licensing is the norm
-- you get new federal licence numbers from the province,
such as ON123456 in Ontario.
- Minimum equipment required
- For your boat in Canada depends on Her length.
- Boating Laws
- Including the Contraventions Act with
on-the-water tickets for a number of infractions.
- Government Index
- Find details about government regulations affecting boating.
Includes U.S. and provincial governments.
- Rules of the Road
- What you need to know to avoid a collision with all the
boats out there! Repeat after me: "There is no right of way"!
- Entering the U.S.A. by Boat
- Crossing the border, Customs decals, I-68 forms, video
terminals, NEXUS, cruising permits, CANPASS. Security procedures
- Entering Canada by Boat
- Foreign boaters need information on immigration, customs,
tax rebates, marine radio, environmental laws, boat and operator
licensing requirements, and which ports to report to.
- VHF marine radio
- In Canada boaters need licences to use a VHF radio: an optional
licence for the radio and a mandatory licence for the operator.
There is a "short" VHF channel list
and an emergency "Mayday" sheet for your crew.
- Alcohol & Boats
- Governed by federal and provincial laws. A discussion from the
Canadian boating group about drinking and boating is included.
2. NAVIGATION & SAFETY
- Small boat navigation
- Using a compass for chart plotting to electronic navigation using echarts.
WAAS navigation is the newest and most accurate electronic system. Older systems in common use are:
Loran-C (archive) was retired in 2010.
- Cruise Checklist
- For those important checks before you head out.
Handy enough to print out.
- Fuelling gasoline
- Safety at the gas dock (or "How I hate flying through the air!") and
Fire extinguishers includes a story about
a real-life galley fire.
- How to Save Fuel in your Boat
- Float Plan
- For you to fill out and give to a friend or the Coast Guard
-- just in case.
- Marine Weather
- Forecasts to avoid bad experiences!
- MAFOR Code, Beaufort Scale
- Distress signals
- To use when you are in trouble -- from flares to Mayday.
Waving your arms and screaming works too!
- Marina security
- On everyone's minds these days.
Learn how to protect your pride and joy.
- It can kill you. Here are the symptoms and treatment
as well as how to prevent it.
- CPR and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Refresher for those who have taken a course.
- How to prevent and treat "mal de mer".
- Electric Shock Drowning (ESD)
- How to recognize, deal with, and prevent dangerous
electric power leaks from docks and boats.
- Carbon Monoxide poisoning
- Prevent this silent killer. The odorless gas from any
fuel-burning engine, generator, heater or stove can kill.
- Protecting your crew from mosquitoe bites and illnesses.
West Nile Virus
- Lyme disease
- Fastest growing epidemic in North America transmitted by ticks
- Top Insurance claims
- The most common accidents that can happen on the water.
- Pat's Units
Converter (PDQ Library)
- Converts distance, speed, weight, volume, temperature,
pressure, area, dollars. The "gas price converter" converts
between U.S. dollars per gallon and Canadian dollars per litre -
Canadians always pay more! Save the web page to use offline!
3. CRUISING CANADA
- The Rideau Waterway
- UNESCO World Heritage Site from Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's capital)
to Kingston on Lake Ontario - the best cruising, fishing, history
and scenery. Read Pat's "Rideau Canal Cruising Guide".
Don't miss our videos.
- The Trent-Severn Waterway
- 386 km. of canals, rivers, and 45 locks from Trenton on Lake
Ontario to Lake Huron - prefect for power cruising and touring.
- Canadian Canoe Museum, and
- The Great Lakes
- Great boating in the largest area of freshwater on earth.
- Thousand Islands National Park,
also known as the 1000 Islands [sigh].
- Pat's Island Photos.
- St. Lawrence to Lake Champlain
- Paddling voyage from Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River, Richelieu
River, to Lake Champlain
- Small Circle Cruise Planning
- Cruise canals, lakes & rivers of New York, Ontario, Quebec,
Small Circle Cruise Diary
- Cruising British Columbia
- B.C.'s protected waters offer
breathtaking scenery, solitude, marine life, mountains, fiords, ...
- Canadian Yacht Clubs & Boating Associations
- Useful reference for boating groups across Canada.
- Buying a boat
- It's not easy but so much fun! To avoid all the mistakes most
boat buyers make, read
Buy a Boat with Confidence" written by
boater Doug Dawson ..before you shop. Don't buy a lemon!
- Why you should buy a boat in Canada
- Things to consider if you think boat deals are better
in the U.S.A.
- Buying a Boat in the USA (Importing a boat
- Our collection of boaters' experiences will help you do it
- Survey a Boat (Yourself)
- A checklist to help you look at boats and keep your head
when you've lost your heart!
Then hire a marine surveyor before you make any offers.
- "The Name Game"
- Favorite Boat Names
Removing a vinyl decal
- Cruising South
- Cruising south to the ICW, Florida and Bahamas.
Even how to make a rum pot and
cruise planning with Google Earth.
- Cruising with Pets
- Should you do it? How to survive it!
- How to do things & Help
- Helpful information, winterizing, batteries and more.
- Basic Boating hints
- Batteries and
How-to for Boating.
- Knots, flags, and other collected information.
- Those wonderful birds whose mournful
call is heard across Canada's fresh water lakes in the summer.
- Fishing in Ontario
- Provinces regulate fishing, so this is general.
- Aquatic Environment, Water Quality
- Invasive species, virus and chemicals in fish, holding tanks,
Clean Marine, sewage into snow, solar boats
Cleaning a boat,
Great Lakes toxins,
Drinking water, parasites
- Zebra mussels & Invasive Species
- Invasion of the Great Lakes by Invasive Species. I'm going
to have a Zebra mussel appetizer - with garlic!
- Taxes and fees
- Boaters pay many fees (Hey, we aren't all rich so lay off!)
HST adds extra costs to boating
- Boating Statistics
- This is our collection of statistics about boating accidents,
drownings, and the boat industry.
4. FUN STUFF!
- Boat Shows & Events
- Boat shows, poker runs, tall ships
- Poetry for Sailors
- Includes the The Irish Blessing.
- Boating and Sex
- Article republished with permission.
- Sex lives of Canadian boaters
- Survey of boater "habits" from 2008
- Boating cartoons favorites
- Includes all my favorites
- Boating Humour collection:
Celsius & Maple Leafs
: Pirate Joke
: Sailing Story
: Sailor Math
: Boat Shoes
- The Perfect Storm: The Condensed Script
- For those who haven't time to see the movie!
- How to Identify a Canadian Boater!
- Just a little northern humour.
- The "Laws" of Boating
- Laugh, so you don't cry!
- Canadian Boating Quiz
- Sail your brain! Can you identify all
Canada'a provinces and territories?
- Online Boating Games
- Links to other sites for kids (large and small) on a rainy day
- Canadian Boating Scavenger Hunt
- A fun game for your boating social for the kids (or adults?)
- Apps for Sailors
- Software for Android and iPad/iPhone/iTouch -
navigation, information resources, weather, charts, tides
- Media stuff
- Animated photos, calendar, music, loon calls ...
- Boating photography
- How to make those memorable photos while bouncing around.
- Canadian Boating News Blog
- Important Canadian boating news.
Subscribe to our feed or read the
- Social Media & Forums
- Boating in Canada is on
Google Plus (G+) and
Twitter @BoatingInCanada for current information.
- Collected Flotsam
- Knots, Bowline video, flags, music, geography, ...
- Time and Clocks
- Current Moon Phase
- Join the SETI Project
- Analyze radio telescope data to
find extraterrestrial life!
- Learning Boat Handling and Docking
Dawson's e-Lessons will help you dock, tie up, ramp, anchor, splice lines and tie knots. You and your crew will learn the practical side of boating in a condensed lesson that will teach you exactly what you need to know to handle your boat. Browse, order and download these terrific booklets from Boating with Dawsons, a long-time affiliate of Boating in Canada!
Here is a list of some
|Dock a Boat like a Pro
Docking a sterndrive
Docking Twin Sterndrives
Docking Twin Sterndrives Advanced
Docking a Single Inboard
Docking Twin Outboard
Docking Twin Inboard
|Docking your boat|
Docking Single Outboard
Docking your Sailboat
Houseboat Docking Single O/B or I/O
Docking While Cruising