Entering Canada by Boat

Summaries below are for convenience only and may be out-of-date. Use our Government directory to get the latest official information.

The Basics:
When a private pleasure boat enters Canada, the boat must dock at an approved marine reporting site, and the captain immediately report to Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC): 1-888-226-7277 before proceeding to any other Canadian destination. (NEXUS members use different procedures.) If weather forces docking at another location, the master must immediately call the TRC, a CBSA office, or the RCMP and follow instructions.

Boaters who enter Canada without reporting to the CBSA may face fines (min. $1000), seizure of their vessels and/or criminal charges. Foreigners may also lose the ability to re-enter Canada in the future. (CBSA Reporting Requirements)

Reporting Information:

Cruising or Fishing along the border:
If you are cruising or fishing in Canadian waters, you do NOT need to contact the CBSA. But, if you enter Canadian waters and dock, anchor, meet up with another boat, or drop off or pick up anyone or any thing, you must contact the CBSA on your return. Similarly, if you cross into USA waters while cruising or fishing, you do not need to contact the CBSA. [June 2017]

U.S. Citizens entering Canada:
Americans require photo ID and proof of citizenship to enter Canada. More important - Americans returning home must have additional identification to comply with U.S. rules. (Entering the U.S.A. by Boat) American citizens may be refused entry to Canada due to criminal, security lists or medical reasons - if in doubt, check before you go. Canadian border officials can refuse entry to Canada if you've been convicted of a misdemeanor or a DUI (driving under the influence car or boat). American citizens may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit Canada (TRP). [Government directory: Immigration ]

Other Canadian Regulations for foreign boaters:
The Canadian Coast Guard's Office of Boating Safety [Government directory: Transport Canada] lists the requirements for foreign recreational vessels in Canadian waters. Boats staying in Canada less than 45 days are exempt from most regulations for safety equipment if the boat is legally fitted and licenced in its home state. Visitors must follow most other Canadian boating regulations such as speed limits, operator age and power restrictions, drinking and driving laws, VHF radio station licence, marine radio operator licence. Visitors must also comply with provincial regulations for boat toilets and sewage.

Renting a boat:
People renting a boat will need to get a "Rental Boating Safety Checklist" before heading out. They do not need to acquire the PCOC, operator's certificate - a dockside training session is required instead. However, you must have a valid radio operator licence to transmit on a marine VHF radio (listening does not require a licence).

Designated Reporting Stations:
The captain of a boat arriving in Canada must report to Canadian Border Services Agency immediately upon arrival at designated reporting stations. As a convenience, many marinas are eligible and have instructions posted by the docks with toll-free phone number to call. It is illegal to dock or anchor in Canadian waters before checking in. Kingston Mills, the first Rideau Canal lock, is an official "Canada Customs Telephone Report Site", where you can receive a Customs Report number - as long as it's your first stop after entering Canadian waters.

Boat Papers:
Have your boat licence or registration information, and full names, citizenship, birth dates, and addresses of all persons on board. You may also require vaccination papers for pets. You should be prepared to wait for an inspector or to move your boat to another location if required. Be sure to keep all passengers on board until you have cleared entry procedures. Make an entry in your ship's log with date, agent's name, location of entry, and clearance number for reference in any future disputes. You can phone Canadian Customs, part of Revenue Canada, toll free at 1-800-265-5633 24 hours a day.

It's recommended to fly your vessel's national flag at the stern when reporting. You may also fly a yellow quarantine flag at the starboard spreader or radio mast. A Canadian courtesy flag worn by foreign boats is always appreciated.

The Captain and Passengers:
U.S. citizens should arrive with boat "papers" and photo ID. Other foreigners must carry their national passport and a visitor's visa where required. Canadian "landed immigrants" must carry the Permanent Resident Card to re-enter Canada after travelling outside Canada.

Most guns and weapons are prohibited from being brought into Canada. Anyone who enters with a gun, and does not declare it to the CBSA can face prosecution, and the firearms, and vehicle used to carry them, may be seized.

Holding Tanks (black water):
Many provinces (like Ontario) have laws that require boats to have a holding tank and pump-out deck fitting connected to toilets on board. There are no gray water (sink water) laws in Canada. [Government Index: Provinces]

Phone access:
When entering Canada, Canada Border Services Agency officers can request phone passwords, but cannot access information stored "remotely or online". Refusal means the device could be "detained for a forensic examination". (When entering the U.S.A., border agents cannot force you to unlock a phone, but could detain you or even seize your device if you refuse. And if you're a Canadian, they have the authority to refuse you entry.)

Things to remember:
Have the required paperwork for the boat and all passengers before you arrive. When reporting at the border, just answer yes or no unless asked for details. Agents are trained to detect lies, so just tell the truth. Canadian border agents are only concerned about what you bring into Canada - guns and certain foods are not allowed. Do not attempt to be friendly or make jokes. Check the latest rules before you travel.

Border Programs & Licences

Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC):
Boat operators require proof of competency to operate a boat in Canada (exemptions above), including non-resident visitors staying more than 45 days or who operate a Canadian licenced or registered boat. That includes most cottage boats. You are exempt if you and your boat are from the U.S. and are in Canada less than 45 days. Proof of competency can be one of: Pleasure Craft Operator Card, a renter's document (see below), or an "operator card" that meets the requirements of the U.S.A. or your home state. The "operator card" is recognized in both Canada and the U.S. and can be acquired from a Transport Canada authorized business.

NEXUS card:
This program is a bi-national, Canada-United States agreement for pre-approved, low-risk travelers entering Canada or the U.S. by air, land, and marine ports of entry. A Nexus card allows faster processing by CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) and CBP (U.S. Customs and Border Protection), for faster border crossings. Boaters can call a Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) 30 minutes (minimum) to 4 hours (maximum) prior to arrival in Canada. Everyone in the boat must be a NEXUS member, otherwise regular reporting procedures must be followed. (A NEXUS card has already replaced the CANPASS program and will likely replace the I-68, It can be used instead of a passport when entering the U.S. by land or water.) Read a letter from an American boater using Nexus on the west coast. [Government directory: NEXUS]

CANPASS Private Boats programs (telephone reporting) has been discontinued and replaced by the NEXUS program. [Government directory: CBSA, Border Control]

I-68 & OARS:
The U.S. has special border programs for boaters: "Canadian Border Boat Landing Program" (I-68 form) and the "Outlying Area Reporting Stations" (OARS). Forms are valid for one year and everyone on board must have one. It is convenient for boaters who travel across border waters for a day or two in the U.S.

Remote Area Border Crossing Program (RABC) is only available in parts of northwestern Ontario and southeastern Manitoba for entering Canada.

Canadian Regulations affecting Boaters

Top of Page

Charts, Services for Canadian Waters

A complete listing of nautical charts, Sailing Directions, Tide Tables and authorized dealers is available from Canadian Hydrographic Service. NOTMAR contains all Notices to Mariners publications with changes to charts, light lists, and Sailing Directions. See our Government Index for Web site links.

Reference: Charts and Maps for U.S. and Canada.

There are major errors in "Richardson's Chartbook and Cruising Guide, Lake Ontario, 3rd Edition" on page 68-70. For correction, call Richardson at 800-873-4057 or e-mail rcharts@aol.com.

Top of Page

VHF Radio Requirements

A foreign boater who wish to legally transmit using their VHF radio in Canada requires a valid ship's licence plus an operator licence. Call the American FCC toll-free 1-888-CALLFCC in the U.S.A. or the Canadian government for current information about VHF regulations.

FCC rules for American VHF radios operated in Canada.

Foreign visitors who wish to legally transmit using their marine VHF radio in Canada require a valid ship's licence plus an operator licence. U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Canadian government have recently created exemptions for VHF marine radio licences for radios used in home waters, there are international treaties governing radio usage outside home borders that boaters must still abide by.

The U.S. FCC processes applications for VHF radios for boaters in American licensed or registered boats travelling to Canada. Phone the FCC toll-free at 1-888-CALLFCC for current information.

All radio operators must have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's permit, Form 753 ($45Cdn in 1998) to actually transmit on a VHF radio in Canada. Listening is free!

The Marine Radio in Canada page has information about using VHF for calling, emergencies, channel usage for different geographical locations, etc.

You should fill out a Float Plan before embarking on a trip and give it to someone on shore. Check out the at Canadian Coast Guard services.

Top of Page

Duty & GST Rebates

For current rules, read the Duty free information before buying merchandise to take back to other countries. Note: Foreign visitors no longer get a GST rebate on the tax they have paid in Canada.

Generally, American visitors to Canada can bring back goods (excluding alcohol or tobacco) duty free if in Canada more than 24 hours. After 2 full days you may take home $200 worth of goods. If in Canada more than 48 hours, you may take home $400 worth of goods (including 1 alcohol and 1 carton cigarettes) (valid 1998).

If you want to buy a boat in Canada, find out why a Canadian boat a good idea. Canadians should read about importing a boat & trailer from the U.S.A..

U.S. Boats remaining in Canada

In August 2012, the Canadian government began enforcing a law requiring foreigners to pay an import tax if they leave their boats in Canada after October 31. Americans may not leave their U.S. registered boat in Canada year-round without paying duty and tax (up to 13% depending on the country of manufacture). A E-99 permit may allow American boats to remain in a Canadian marina during the winter to get work done. For current information, contact the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Top of Page


Regulations for fishing are different in each of the ten provinces and two territories. The Ontario Fishing Page explains fishing in Ontario waters. You must be in possession of a fishing licence. See the Government of Canada listing of provincial and territorial governments for other locations. As of June 2017, you may fish across the Canadian water border -- as long as you do not dock or anchor you do not need to contact Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Read news and articles 2011-2017 after Roy Anderson, an American fishing across the "invisible border" in the St. Lawrence River, was charged by Canadian Border Services officials. The law was changed in 2017.

Travelling with Pets

If your pet come boating with you, carry a rabies vaccination certificate dated within the last year. Raccoon rabies spread north across the St. Lawrence River into Ontario around 2000. In 2020, there were reports of rabies in bats in Eastern Ontario. For more information, see Cruising with Pets.

"No other border-nations in the world enjoy the long-standing friendship, family ties and prosperity of the Canadian-American relationship. The numbers speak for themselves: $1.6 billion USD a day in cross-border commerce. This boils down to over $1 million every minute in cross-border transactions. 300,000 people a day cross our shared border. These numbers represent a personal and commercial relationship that is unrivalled in the world?and the envy of many nations." ? The Hon. Michael Wilson, Canadian Ambassador to the United States (April 2007 Boise, Idaho)